Thursday night we got in around 9 PM so we just took it easy. The first thing I did was run and jump in the big comfy bed and did this ... for the rest of the night!
Friday morning the weather was B-E-A-UTIFUL and perfect for a hike. I have been itching for a hike for a very long time so I think I was more excited than Chris. We drove out to several points along the Blue Ridge Parkway. First stop was Craggy Gardens, which is known for their rhododendron during the summer. We were too early and nothing was in bloom but Chris was making mental notes to go back in June. It was only a 3/4" mile hike and the view was worth it once we got to the top.
Then we headed right up the road to Mount Mitchell, the highest point East of the Mississippi River. And it sure felt that way! We decided to be adventurous and take the 2 mile hike to the summit ... and even the 2 mile hike back down. The map called it strenuous but they should have put DANGER: VERY STRENUOUS, TO THE POINT OF WHERE YOU WILL FEEL LIKE YOU ARE HAVING A HEART ATTACK! I am so proud of our achievement. I know it's no Mount Everest, but it was tough. We had to keep encouraging each other to keep trucking on. Chris is my hero though because he had his camera pack on and that thing has to weigh an extra 20 pounds with all his gear on it. The summit was gorgeous though. You could see for miles and miles. There was even a marker to the direction of Spartanburg which was probably at least 60 miles.
Saturday we took it easy. We shopped at my most favorite antique place called the Antique Tobacco Barn. If I had all day, I would've stayed there. If you're ever in Asheville and like to antique shop look it up. It's so worth it! Then we had lunch at Salsas (fabulous), one hour massages at Spatheology and dinner at Nine Mile which is also fabulous. It's a Jamaican joint owned by two white guys. Go figure - great food!
Sunday was our journey back home and we stopped at Pearson Falls in Saluda on the way. Great 1/4 mile hike to a gorgeous waterfall!
We were SO ready and excited to see our little man for a hug and kiss but we had a wonderful and relaxing weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment